- Alex the Alpacabot: a virtual real estate agent
- Connecting Brazilian Families with Emergency Government Assistance
- Providing a portal into the Europeana cultural heritage collection
- A Covid-19 information assistant built on an open, multi-lingual data set
- Digital Assistant Robot: Helping ISS Software Hive employees manage leave and visa requests
- Neon: answering questions and solving problems for bank customers
- Albert Heijn's digital assistant provides fast answers to customer questions
- Eva: Supporting learners at Brazil's Virtual School of the Government
- Culture Chatbot: a virtual museum tour guide
- The Doodle Bot helps users coordinate meeting times across teams
- Cooper: automating deployment and other tasks for an engineering team
- Helvetia's assistant handles the entire claims process for bike thefts
- Eddy Travels helps you travel like a pro, via an embedded AI assistant
- Djingo: helping customers with first-line technical troubleshooting
- Dialogue Virtual Clinic guides patients through an AI-assisted medical evaluation
- Hey Sensei: helping Adobe Stock users find the perfect photo
- McAi: taking customers' orders via voice-powered assistant
- Lola: an always-there companion to Synaptitude's brain health program
- Maya: sophisticated automation for insurance claims and customer service
- Tia: providing women's health advice through a HIPAA-compliant interface
- Moltron: educating users about machine learning
- Providing local forest fire updates for California residents
- CBOT: answering questions about the C programming language
- Gliobot: helping glioblastoma patients understand treatment options
- Nora : Providing Education and Updates on COVID-19
- Golfbot: answering questions about golf rules and regulations
- A voice-powered assistant capable of booking salon appointments by phone
- A voice-controlled avatar, powered by Rasa and Raspberry Pi
- Jokebot: fetching jokes and quotes from open APIs
- A Multilingual DemoBot, deployable on Heroku
Providing local forest fire updates for California residents
Meet the Assistant
During a record-setting California wildfire season that has displaced hundreds from their homes and left millions more breathing smoke-filled air, two San Jose-based software engineers created an AI assistant to deliver localized updates to residents across the state.
Amit Tallapragada and Arvind Sankar observed that in the early days of the fires, news outlets and local governments provided a confusing mix of updates about fire containment and evacuation zones, leading some residents to evacuate unnecessarily. They teamed up to build a chatbot that would return accurate information about conditions in individual cities, including nearby fires, air quality, and weather data.
Try it out by texting "update <california_city_name>" to +14083409971, eg. Update San Jose.
Rasa Open Source and Twilio made it possible to quickly build a chat interface for the API supplying the data, and Rasa Open Source was used to classify city and county names, recognize intents, and handle dialogue. So far, the assistant has handled 2, 000 individual sessions in a month, helping Californians stay safe and informed about wildfires in their area.
Amit Tallapragada and Arvind Sankar are software engineers based in San Jose California. Amit works with chatbot infrastructures and Arvind on distributed systems and databases. Amit and Arvind are childhood friends who have been building projects together since high school.